Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Beauty List of Canadian Jargon


This past Easter weekend, since my school thought it’d be an excellent idea to have classes on Good Friday, I was sadly confined to solitude on campus—as the homeland is just a wee bit too far for a weekend rendezvous.

Lucky for me, one of my dear Canadian friends drove a whopping seven hours to come and pay me a visit (some dedication eh?)

Anyways, as we were walking around the very empty campus, (because everyone left for ‘Jers), he turned to me and said,  “oh man this place is a ghost town eh?”

After hearing this, I paused and thought wow, I totally forgot Canadian’s say weird things—all the time.

Before I get to the infamous Canadian ‘eh’ I thought I should first fill you in on some of the more popular Canadian jargon…(some of this may be more prevalent among university students, so bear with me as I jot down some of the wacky terms)

Beauty: another term for great, awesome, cool
“Aw man, did you see that? That was a beauty play!”

Muck: to go at something with great intensity
“I’m starving! Let’s go muck some ‘za’”
translation: I am terribly hungry. We should grab some pizza and eat it with great enthusiasm”

Snip: to shoot, to snag, to see, (often a sports related term…frequently used in hockey)
“Blake had a sweet goal today, snipped it top cheddar from the blue line”
translation:Blake scored a stupendous goal from the blue line today, the puck went in the top corner of the net”

No Worries: phrase meaning, don’t worry about it, it isn’t a problem etc.
“You can’t grab a coffee right now? No worries then, ill c’ya ‘round.”
Translation: That is not a problem that you are unable to have a cup of coffee with me at the moment, I shall see you at a more convenient time

Pardon Me?: a phrase used  when something is unclear or misunderstood
“Pardon Me? What did ya say?”

Washroom: this one in particular I get made fun of for saying ALL the time but I personally think that this one makes more sense then saying “bathroom” because you “wash” your hands in a washroom but you don’t “bathe” in a bathroom
“Pardon me, but would you be able to tell me where the washroom is?”

Grade 1, Grade 2, Grade 11 etc. :used to describe a grade in school, (instead of 1st, 2nd, 3rd grade)—I had to memorize “freshman, sophomore, junior, senior” before coming to school here!
“This one time in grade 11…”
translation: “this one time in junior year”

Wheelin’: in the process of courting someone, trying to “pick someone up”
“He’s been wheelin’ that bid’ for the past week”
translation: “he has been trying to court the young lady for the past week”

Other terms include: hundy, bittie, buck, celly, chate, dangles, flow, pound, micky, dealin….and the list goes on.

As the weekend continued, I came to the realization that even though my friend was clearly speaking  what appeared to be English…if I wasn’t born in Canada, I would have zero clue as to what he was talking about. And oh…the amount of times this boy said the infamous ‘eh’
“That movie was great eh?”
“Oh man, it’s cold out eh?”
“Kelly, you’re like the most awesome person ever eh?” (didn’t actually say that…but I’m certain he was thinking it)

After he left, I was left in quite the pickle as I realized that I hadn’t really learned any “American” vocabulary. I mean all I could think of was “sorry I’m not sorry” and “sucks to suck”.

I guess I still have the rest of the semester to compile a final list of all of the phrases I have learned and teach them to my Canadian friends. But, considering that I have 4 weeks left of school and most of them have less than two weeks, they can definitely tell me that it “sucks to suck.”


No comments:

Post a Comment