Thursday, April 19, 2012

La Poutine


When thinking about Canadian cuisine, a variety of items pop into my head: timbits, pemeal bacon, ketchup chips—but there’s one dish above all that really exemplifies Canada at it’s best.

Having come a long way from its French Canadian origins, this dish is the food of choice for those seeking something delicious, filling, greasy and pure-bred Canadian. I present to you, (drumroll please)….POUTINE!!!

You might be thinking pou-what? …but I assure you that aside from maple syrup, this is best of the best of Canadian cuisine.

Poutine consists of fries (often double-fried to make ‘em extra crispy), cheese curds and gravy. The combination sounds a little frightening but you can’t knock it until you try it.

Feeling a little bold the other day, I decided to create a homemade version of poutine in my school’s cafeteria. I even convinced some of my American friends to try it. Although hesitant at first, after the first bite they were forking up poutine like it was nobody’s business.

Because this was such a momentous occasion, I decided to capture it all on film. So enjoy this homemade movie dedicated to this dangerously delicious dish and afterwards…try making some for yourself, you won’t regret it!

ps. feeling un peu francophone, I uploaded a picture of Old Quebec's beautiful Chateau Frotenac (somewhere you should visit at least once in your lifetime!)


No comments:

Post a Comment